Thursday, April 03, 2008

John Nadolski Returns from Kenya

Thank you for all of your prayers.

It was a special and blessed trip to Kenya. Here are a few stories of how our prayers were answered. Since this is about PRAYERS, I’ll use those letters to tell the story. Send us a reply if you want more information or send us a note to let us know what’s new in your life.
John and Marcia


Prayer. I prayed for y’all on the days you were praying for me. I took the prayer list with me wherever I went, and I prayed for y’all, too. Thanks so much for your prayers.

Rain. It hasn’t rained in Marsabit for over a month and that wasn’t much of a rain. It did rain the day I left and that gave people hope that the rains would come early this year.

Answered prayer. Where do I start? There were so many answered prayers: health and safety were obvious, but there were many subtle answers to prayers. One that comes to my mind is about giving: I took two hats with me on the trip and I bought caps for the guys traveling with me. One day, Joseph was riding in the back of the pickup truck and his hat blew off. So, I gave him mine and I started wearing a leather hat with a broad rim. I liked the big hat because it kept the hot sun off of my ears, neck and nose. As it turns out, my partner David (Dr. David Adolph, PhD Engineer and program manager for the project) drove us to the air strip so that we could catch the small plane flying back to Nairobi. It had started to rain and David didn’t have a hat. I gave him mine and he seemed tickled. (It looked real good on him. It made him look like Crocodile Dundee.) When I got to Nairobi, I stayed at the guest house for African Inland Missions. While I was checking in, a guest came up to the front desk and gave them three hats to give away. I asked and they gave me one. It was a good reminder that God provides.

Yes. There is a desert in Kenya. We went through the edge of the Chalbi Desert, doing about 100 km/hour for about an hour. The road changes every time they get a rain, and they close the road every time it rains. They got rain a few days after we went through and they closed the road. It may stay closed until things dry out in May or June.

Education. Almost all of the kids start off at the primary school and they usually stay until they are about eight or nine years old. By that time, the kids are big enough to be useful in taking care of the sheep or walking the donkeys to the well. It’s sad to see kids drop out of school, especially girls. Maybe one in four kids finish eighth grade and only a handful of kids move to town to be in high school.

Rotary projects: LWI’s team drilled two of the four wells in Western Kenya and finished the project at Sabatia Eye Hospital.

Sand fleas. Those buggers bite – and leave welts that last for weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home