Monday, August 15, 2005

Trusting God through the Tears

Hello from Utah. Fall is coming and school starts in just two weeks for us. It has been a busy summer, full of the pain and joy that is life. Through it all, God is there with His power and comfort.

As the school year ended last spring, I found out my dad had inoperable cancer. He was given only a few months and though he was 82, it was a shock to us. My brother and I moved my folks from Irvine into an assisted living facility in Yucaipa, near my brother. Campus Crusade enabled us to go to a summer project nearby in San Diego, where we helped train student leaders from all over the Northwest. I was able to join our whole family for our last Father's Day together and it was a special time that meant so much to my dad.

It was unclear how much longer he really had, so we made the decision to go ahead to our bi-annul staff training in Fort Collins, CO. In late July my dad suddenly went downhill drastically. I made the decision to try to be at his side and flew back to So. Calif in a race against time(the hospice workers doubted I would make it) But God was with me as I barely made a plane connection and even sailed through rush hour traffic on the 10. I was able to be with my father during his last hours as our family sang, prayed and held his hand and soon he stepped into the presence of his Lord Jesus. Miriam and the kids drove back from Colorado to Utah and then flew out for the memorial services. The services were truly meaningful and a celebration of my dad's life.

I loved my father very much. He was a truly good man and a pillar of his church. He loved and took care of his wife for 54 years and supported me in everything I have ever done. I praise God I could be there with him at the end, as he has always been there for me.

If you think of it, please pray for my mom as she now lives alone and for our whole family as we mourn, yet celebrate the joy he is now experiencing. I would appreciate your prayers as we get ready for another year reaching students with the gospel. I will miss my dad's thoughts and prayers, the conversations about all that is happening as I start my 20th year of ministry with Campus Crusade. Sometimes it is hard to focus on all I need to do. I am indeed grateful for the fellowship we have with you and the sustaining power of God's love. -Rob Gunn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home